The harm of flies
• Physical harassment of adult flies
• Physical harassment of fly larvae inside the beds, especially for calves
• Transmission of diseases such as diarrhea of calves, salmonellosis, IBR, blood parasites (Tabanus fly is the cause of transmission of Sora disease).
It is even said that the Stomoxys fly can transmit Charbon’s disease.
• Creation of myiasis on live animals in the places of injection and surgery (the author has also observed them on the healthy skin of ground calves.)
• Getting into the milking machines & containers & subsequently contaminating the milk and raising the microbial count of the milk
• Causing stress in adult cows, decreasing appetite and reducing milk production:
To drive flies away, cows kick, make strong movements of the tail and skin muscles, gather in one spot and splash food on their backs, which can become a habit all year round.
Flies cause the most problems for cows during milking.
Milking restless cows that try to drive flies away with strong tail shakes is very difficult and tiring.